Saturday, January 27, 2007

Winter Sense of Place

In case you were wondering...no, I didn't vanish...just went on vacation to sunny California...and didn't bring my laptop for a true vacation experience!



Lucky for us that it really was sunny rather than precipitating, as is more typical for this time of year in central California. It probably tells a lot about our sense of place that we didn't head for warm beaches...we traded our snowy creek view for snowy Tahoe lake and mountain views! It is worrisome, however, that they also have less snow than normal.

I was thinking about our sense of place before we left...we had such warm weather and little snow...I was wondering how it would affect us if these changes become the norm. Winter is such a wonderful time to cozy up inside, I think I'd miss not having that time away from the bustle of outside activity to spend more indoor quiet time thinking, planning, creating, learning. It does feel like winter today, (it's cold outside!) and although yesterday's warmth felt good I must admit it feels good to be back to winter.

We didn't spend all our California time in Tahoe...we also spent time in Sacramento, Napa and our favorite San Francisco Bay area. The hills/mountains in both SFO and Tahoe offer a very different housing experience. I love looking down to see your neighbors, and out to such magnificent vistas

There has been so much talk in the past year about inflated and declining housing prices. We're lucky to be in the Midwest, where prices rose nicely but not outrageouly and have dropped some but are now relatively stable...expecting a modest rise of 1-2% this year. Housing prices went through the roof in California, and they are now positioned for more significant price decreases...I just read an article listing the 10 markets with the highest risk of declining prices and 8 of them are in California (the other two on the opposite coast in Massachusetts).

It feels good to be back and settling into 'real' winter in the Midwest...although sitting out for lunch and fine wine in the Napa valley was a wonderful winter getaway experience.

I hope you find your own way to relax and refresh in this new year...I'm ready to get back to the joy of my work helping people fulfill their real estate dreams!

No comments: