Thursday, May 10, 2007

City Inspections

As I went for my morning walk today I was reminded of our Minnesota seasons...often laughingly called winter and road construction!

We live in Golden Valley and I was also reminded of the new city ordinance effective January 2007 requiring all properties to have a sanitary sewer inspection BEFORE they are advertised for sale. It's called the I/I Point of Sale ordinance.

My experience has been that nearly all properties require some work be done, often at a cost in the thousands of dollars. If you are planning to sell, be sure to add this to your to-do list. In addition to budgeting $'s, be sure to allow ample time to have both the inspection and work completed...it's a new program and the system is somewhat overwhelmed.

A total of 12 cities in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area require homes to be inspected before they are offered for sale, whether the sale is public or private. You can find a complete list of cities requiring inspections, with phone numbers and links to detailed information from the cities involved, at my website at HomesMSP.com.

No comments: